Sunday, November 19, 2006

Chai tea latte


My one daily dose of caffeine (other than the chocolate I shovel in) is in the form of a chai tea latte. Rather than spending $4 a day (or $28 a week...$112 a month....), I make my own. I even have one of those handy-dandy milk frothers now to make it a little more like a barista made it.


I actually prefer making my own because I can control the sugar content. I prefer to use honey rather than sugar.


Here's how I do it...


1 GF chai teabag (I am using Good Earth right now)

8 oz skim milk

8 oz boiling water

Honey


Drop the teabag into a 1-cup measuring cup. Pour the boiling water over. Let steep for 5-6 minutes. When the tea is almost ready, heat the milk in the zapper (aka microwave) for about a minute and a half. When it comes out, use a handheld milk frother to make it light and foamy.


Pour the tea into a tall cup that will hold at least 16 ounces. Add honey to your taste for sweetness. When the honey is dissolved, pour the milk on top. Enjoy with a good book in the afternoon or use to keep your road rage in check on Monday mornings.

No comments: