Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Chicken and rice...so to speak

Dinner tonight was garlic and leek risotto, honeyed carrots, and honey-mustard chicken. Nummy.

I am slowly but surely working my way through that monstrous organic food shipment. Tonight took care of the leek and a third of the carrots.

What's left? A package of beef stew meat, one piece of salmon, 2 turnips, broccoli, some carrots, asparagus, strawberries, apples, pears...I think there's more but I am too full to get my butt off the couch.

I am so proud of The Man tonight. I know he hates cooked carrots, but I asked him to try mine, which are not cooked to the point of mush and I drip a little honey over them. He put a small (read miniscule) pile on his plate and actually ate some. Not only did he try something he doesn't care for, but he ate something new too) of course, without knowing it. While I was doing dishes, he came into the kitchen (we are slackers that eat in the living room in front of the tube) to get a second helping of the "creamy rice stuff." As he was piling it on his plate, I told him that he had eaten something new - leeks, and aren't they weaker-tasting than onions? I got a "damn it" and was told to stop sneaking food past him. But he took his pile of creamy rice stuff and headed back to the living room and Everyone Loves Raymond.

And brought back an empty plate. Well, except for the pile of carrots. He tried.

No comments: