Friday, November 03, 2006

A plate of many colors


Purple potatoes, onions, red beets, and salmon. On a yellow plate. I need sunglasses. Damn good eating.

I was on my own for dinner again tonight as The Man is bartending. Obviously, I was so disappointed about that because that meant I could make for dinner whatever appealed to me.

What appealed to me is a bunch of stuff that came in my organic delivery. As I was pulling things out of those boxes, I immediately imagined what I could do with each food.

I have never eaten purple potatoes before; the container these were in said "purple roasting potatoes," so that's what I did along with some yellow onion and garlic. As Rachel Ray would say, YUM-O!

Beets. I haven't had fresh beets since I was a kid. I even remembered how to keep the juice stains to a minimum (peel under water and rinse the cutting board immediately). The first bite was like heaven.

Salmon is one of those foods, like tuna and cabbage, that The Man doesn't want me to cook unless he is nowhere around. I keep telling him that fresh salmon doesn't stink like the junk in a can.

Oh well. His loss. I had a wonderful dinner and am already thinking about leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Baked Salmon, Boiled Beets & Roasted Purple Potatoes
Feeds 1 with a few leftovers

4 small purple potatoes
1 piece of salmon
1 small yellow onion
4 beets
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves
1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Wash the beets under running water. Chop into bite-sized pieces and put into a pot of water. Salt the water and heat on medium-low heat.
Chop the potatoes and onion into bite-sized pieces. Mince the garlic. Throw it all into an ovenproof dish and douse with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put into the preheated oven.
Put the salmon into an ovenproof dish. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put into the oven.
It happened that my potatoes and salmon got done at the same time because my salmon was still half-frozen when it went into the oven.
Notice that there were no cat hair references...until now. The little brats actually stayed out of the kitchen! I washed the counters down before I started as usual and since they stayed away, no kitty fur in the food tonight.
Tomorrow's agenda (NO BARN! NO BARN!)
Raspberry jam
Pear galette or something else with the pears that are taking over my fridge
Roasted chicken
Another new veggie - Jerusalem artichokes (will take pics so you can see what they look like - not like what you think an artichoke should look like)
GF cookies!
If there's time, something cranberry-related (they've been selling the bags 2 for $4 at the local grocery store so I have been stocking up big-time)

No comments: