Wednesday, December 27, 2006

More soup to be eaten



I was very disappointed Monday morning when I ran to the store to get what I needed and didn't have for potato soup. The only grocery store in our areas were closed. Sheesh - even the old IGA was open at least 4 hours Christmas Day before Jewel drove them out of business.

Yesterday morning before work, I picked up what I needed. We would have potato soup after all. Not the healthiest recipe in the world, but oh so good.

Potato Soup

1 pound diced bacon
4 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
8 potatoes, peeled, and cubed
4 to 5 cups chicken broth
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup GF flour (I used GF Pantry's French Bread mix)
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp dried tarragon
3 tsp dried parsley
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook the bacon in a stock pot. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside on paper towels to drain. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the grease.

In the grease, saute the celery and onion until the onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan and add enough chicken broth to just cover the potatoes. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.

In a separate pan, melt the butter; stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the heavy cream, tarragon and parsley. Bring the cream to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the cream mixture to the potato mixture, heating through. Puree about half of the soup in your blender and then pour it back into the stock pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

While seasoning at the end, I had a little fun. At the store, I found a cute little salt pig. I unboxed it, set it by the sink, and went to work. The Man wanted to know when I got home, "What the hell is a salt pig?"

So I took a little pinch of the sea salt I had put in it and dropped it into the soup. So much easier than getting out the container of salt! I just need to figure out how to keep the damn cat hair out of it.

No comments: