Friday, January 05, 2007

Dinner for one - again



Back when I started this blog, I told myself that I would post about any new food, recipe, whatever, that I made - be it good, bad or indifferent. Tonight's menu? I would rate this one as indifferent.

An experiment. I didn't know how it would turn out. I grabbed some stuff from the fridge, some stuff from the freezer, some stuff from the cabinet. For me, half the fun is combining stuff to see what can be created for a meal. So here's what I did tonight.

Cheesy Potatoes and White Fish for 2 (or 1 big eater)

1 good-sized russet potato, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (leave the skin on)
1/2 of a small block gruyere cheese, sliced
Roasted garlic olive oil
2 tbsp butter
Paprika
Dried parsley
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
1 large piece of white fish (I have NO idea what type of fish I just ate - I got it from TCF and it was wrapped in white paper with no label - part of a previous cookbook box)
1/2 a lemon

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle about a teaspoon of roasted garlic olive oil (hereafter known as RGOO because I am tired and lazy tonight) into a small baking dish; use a slice of potato to spread the oil around to cover the bottom of the dish. Then layer as follows: bottom layer is potatoes, then a drizzle of RGOO, the 4-5 slices of cheese, then a sprinkle of parsley. Repeat until you have used all of the potato slices. Over the top layer, sprinkle some sea salt and pepper. Cover with foil and put into the oven.

When the potatoes are starting to soften, put your fish in the oven. To prepare it, rub a little butter in the bottom of your baking dish; place your fish on the top. Squeeze a lemon half over the fish. Cut the butter into 4 pieces and place them evenly across the fish. Cover with foil and bake until the fish flakes with a fork.

When the fish flakes and the potatoes are tender, remove the foil from both. Let it cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to (1) let the cheese brown a bit and (2) sprinkle a little paprika on the fish, then do a quick baste with the butter in the bottom of the dish.


Like I said, this was "indifferent." The potatoes were okay but needed more cheese for my taste (Wisconsin born and bred, remember?) and more garlic flavor. Next time I will roast some garlic and get it in there too.

Because I didn't know what kind of fish I was going to be eating, thanks to the mysteries of butcher paper, I ended up overcooking the fish a little bit. Next time? More butter. I already increased it in the recipe.

No comments: