Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Food, glorious food

While I would prefer to eat not only organically, but locally and seasonally as well, it's just not an option in this house. Why, do I hear you ask? Because #1-The Man won't eat what's in season in winter that isn't local, and (2) I live in the Midwest and am realistic. We are finally getting "normal" weather around here (read 'cold') and quite frankly, you ain't growing nothing in 13 degrees and ice.

Poor California farmers. Poor us for not being able to eat all that glorious food that was destroyed by Mother Nature, damn her fickle hide. But mostly, poor farmers. I can't imagine what it's like to have your entire crop wiped out in a matter of days.


At 6:45 this morning, my latest organics order was delivered.


Leeks, red potatoes, bananas, meyer lemons (a first for me), cherries, tomatoes, a clamshell of baby greens, oranges (or they might be grapefruit), and a butternut squash.

My stomach is growling.

2 comments:

Mike Eberhart said...

That's one very healthy looking collection of food. Yummy! I could get into that stuff all the time, but the price of fresh veggies is really a bit rough this time of year, and I can only imagine how bad it'll get with the California deep-freeze hitting all the crops. Enjoy the veggie-feast!

Happy Homemaker said...

I always love photos of fresh foods!