Saturday, March 17, 2007

Am I done playing yet?

I dunno. Since I am unfamiliar with CSS and all that crap, it's been a day of "cut-preview-repaste-if-it's-the-wrong-thing." I am happier with the look now than I was, but am still unhappy. Anybody good with this stuff? I have questions...or need help...or something.

A friend of ours got married today at noon. I went to the ceremony at his home and when the food started coming in, my mouth started watering from all the wonderful smells wafting through the house. And I just knew that I couldn't eat any of it. Damn it. Big Irish family, so you can imagine the goodies that were laid out today of all days. Damn it.

I stuck it out for 2 hours and then came home to eat, realizing that with all that great food sitting there, the 2x3 granola bar in my purse wasn't going to cut it. I swung by the grocery store on the way so I could make something I have been craving for a few days.
We had tuna casserole a couple of times a year when I was growing up. I had never had tuna other than in that casserole until high school, when a girlfriend introduced me to tuna salad sandwiches. I was hooked from that moment on. I remember getting yelled at once by Dad because I had made tuna salad with the can of tuna they had bought to make casserole with that week.
Two of my lunches this week consisted of a small container of tuna, mayo and onion, which I ate on rice crackers. Yummy.


Tuna Noodle Casserole

6 oz gluten-free pasta (I used Tinkyada spirals)
1 good sized tuna steak
1 can gluten-free cream of mushroom soup
1 can peas
1 to 2 tbsps cornstarch
1/2 cup freshly grated mild cheddar cheese
Sea salt
Pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Salt and pepper both sides of the tuna, then put into a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through and it flakes easily with a fork. Set aside to cool. When you can touch the steak without burning the skin from your fingers, break it into small pieces.

Cook the pasta according to package directions (add a pinch of salt to the water before adding the pasta). Drain well.

Drain the can of peas.

Heat the soup in a saucepan over medium heat; when it comes to a boil, add the cornstarch and whisk madly until it's dissolved and the soup starts to thicken.

Combine the flaked tuna, pasta, peas and soup in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, then sprinkle the cheese on top. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.

Variation: Sometimes I use shrimp. Oh, and you can mix the cheese into the soup and put buttered bread crumbs on top instead.

1 comment:

Lynn Barry said...

Tuna noodle casserole? How cute. The first year of marriage that is about all I cooked. Hubby finally begged me to stop! Way to make it your way after feeling deprived all afternoon. HUGS