Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Everything's uphill

While I love getting new frames, I kind of hate getting used to new glasses. If my eyes have changed enough, everything appears to be going uphill until my eyes get used to them. I have been walking uphill everywhere I go since about 5:30 tonight.

I have been told that my new Prada frames look "sassy." And I am happy to wear what is probably the only Prada attire I will ever be able to afford LOL

I asked for and got my glasses prescription because I am curious. I will have to stop back to get my actual uncorrected vision, if I want it (you know, the 20/20, 20/40, or whatever). Legally blind is 20/200. The doc has told me more than once that I am well beyond that, but I still want to know the actual numbers.

Anyway.

Browsing the Kinnikinnick (sp?) website this morning, I found a natural foods store that carries their products only 15 minutes or so from here. So I hope to head that way in the next few days to see what's what. I want to see if I can get my hands on quinoa flour, amaranth flour, and other flours that I want to try without having to buy in bulk, just in case I don't like it.


Last night, I made one of our favorite light meals since it was so beautifully warm outside. My parents found the original recipe somewhere; I naturally have tweaked it to suit my tastes. And believe it or not, The Man actually liked the fresh basil and didn't disturb my flute practice session (whalin' out some Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano) to ask me what the hell the green things were.

In a little more than the time it takes to boil pasta, this is done.

Lite Smoked Sausage Italiano
From...somewhere

1 GF kielbasa (Wellshire Farms is GF)
8 ounces GF spaghetti
1 tbsp olive oil
1 package button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
Salt
Pepper
6 to 8 good sized grape tomatoes
A small handful of fresh basil leaves

Make the pasta according to package directions. Slice the kielbasa into 1/2" coins. While the water is coming to a boil for the pasta, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. When hot, add the kielbasa (cover if you don't like cleaning grease off of everything; if you don't care, let 'er rip). Stir fairly often until the meat starts to carmelize a bit. Then add the mushrooms and reduce the heat to medium.

Don't forget to put the pasta in the water!

Continue to stir the meat and mushrooms until the mushrooms begin to reduce in size. Drain the pasta and then add to the skillet with the kielbasa and mushrooms. Toss lightly. Slice the tomatoes into quarters and the basil into thin strips (stack the leaves, roll them into a 'tube' and then hack away). Add both to the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss everything together one last time.


On yet another side note, I designed the floor plan for the 2007 haunted barn last night. Have I told you lately that I have a devious brain? Bwah....ahh....ahhh...

2 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

Uphill downhill devious mind...put the PASTA in the WATER!!! You are a riot! This recipe sounds yummy. Thanks! HUGS

Shannon said...

OOH!!! Where is this store that carries Kinnikinnik? I must go there! (We are on spring break next week and I am feeling the urge to cook again. I really want to try some quinoa flour/flakes.)