Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Mexican-y lunch


I was in the mood for quesadillas, but I didn't want to make anything I had done before (other than the corn tortillas, of course. Those I will be happy to make again and again). I found a recipe on Epicurious that I liked, but it involved going to the store. So I tweaked it.

This recipe would probably fill eight 6" tortillas, but I made teeny weeny Gidget-sized ones (FYI If I haven't mentioned it already - she comes home Wednesday) because I am betting that this will be damn good as a chip dip. I wanted some left to snack on later.

Pinto Bean & Cojita Quesadillas
Adapted from a recipe found on Epicurious

1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried parsley (better with fresh, I am sure)
1 heaping tsp chili powder
1 scant 1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, peeled
8 corn tortillas
2 cups grated cojita cheese

In a blender or food processor, combine the pinto beans, onion, parsley, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Pulse until well combined but still a little chunky. Place into the fridge for an hour so the flavors can meld.

Prepare your tortillas if you are making them from scratch. If not, hang out for a while. Snuggle with the animals or something.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread a tablespoon or two of the bean mixture onto one tortilla, sprinkle a good amount of cheese (3-4 tablespoons), and then place another tortilla on top. Continue until you either use all your tortillas or the filling is gone.

Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crispy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks great!

Mike Eberhart said...

I love quesadillas. They're so simple and quick to make, and quite versatile. Yum!

Lynn Barry said...

I love cumin spice...this looks so fantastic! HUGS