Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hoarding

I am a bad, bad blogger. I have been cranking out some pretty good stuff since Friday at 5 PM. How horrible of me to not blog about it! I guess I have some fairly good reasons:

--Demon Dog demands attention constantly.

--I got A LOT of yard work done, enough that we can finally get mulch laid down in the flower beds.

--Demon Dog demands attention constantly.

--I installed 2 fountains in the landscaping.

--We attended a Memorial Day breakfast at our neighbors while the parade went past our home for the first, and probably only, time.

--I assisted my sister-in-law in weeding, cleaning up, and planting flowers at the family gravesites.

--Demon Dog demands attention constantly.


But now, without further ado, I am posting Friday night's dinner. It was really, really good, but too spicy (not hot spicy, but spice spicy) for my stomach, so I unfortunately paid for eating like a pig. It's a Rachael Ray (gasp! But hey, when you're in a hurry to put something in your gullet, you have to acknowledge that she can crank out grub dang quick) recipe that I adapted slightly.


Chicken Burgers on Teff No-Knead Bread

Adapted from a Rachael Ray recipe


1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika

1 tbsp grill seasoning blend

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (from my garden - how exciting!)

1/2 a medium onion, chopped fine

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

2 tbsp olive oil


Butter

2 cups fresh baby spinach

4 slices provolone cheese


Using a food processor or meat grinder, grind the chicken breasts into...well, ground chicken. Add the paprika, grill seasoning, parsley, onion, garlic, salt and pepper; get your hands into the bowl (wash them first!) and mix well. Drizzle the olive oil over the top, then cut into 4 equal pieces. Take each piece and form it into a burger patty of your preferred size.


Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, drizzle a little more olive oil (another tablespoon, maybe) into the pan and then add the patties. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes per side, depending on thickness, (or until cooked all the way through.


Toast the slices of bread and then butter them lightly. Split the spinach between 4 of the slices and place the patties on the other 4. Top each patty with a slice of cheese, then marry the tops (with the spinach) with the bottoms to create sandwiches.


Serve with potato wedges.

No comments: