Saturday, August 25, 2007

Baking for Bette



Sea at Book of Yum is hosting a GF blog event in honor of Bette Hagman, a pioneer in the world of gluten-free cooking and baking. I have two submissions for this event.

When I first started toying with the idea of being gluten free last summer, I did what I always do - research on the web and get some books to read. I started my quest with Amazon and, in entering the words "gluten free" in the search engine and selecting cookbooks, all of Bette's books popped up. Because there were so many of them, I figured that she knew what she was doing and ordered two, "The Gluten Free Gourmet" and "The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy." When they got here, I did what I always do with a new cookbook - read it through from cover to cover, marking what I thought I might like to try. There were lots of multi-colored post-its sticking out from the margins. She is the one that told me that yes, I could be gluten free and not miss a thing.

As I gained confidence in my GF baking skills, Bette's books stayed on the shelf more and more often because I got away from the whole flour mix thing. However, there are 2 recipes in "The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy" that I go back to time and time again. These two recipes are pictured below...

Brownie Pie - chocolate decadence for a chocoholic like me




Cheese Crackers - because who doesn't love a cheesy cracker?



If you have this book and haven't tried these two recipes yet, do. They're simple and oh so tasty.

And Bette (see Sheri waving to the finally-blue skies above), thank you for all your hard work from those of us that benefit most. You will be missed.

2 comments:

Sea said...

Beautiful photos! Thank you for participating... Both dishes look delicious!
-Sea

Sheri said...

Hi Sea - my pleasure. Thanks for doing such a great event!