Saturday, December 29, 2007

Mysterious


How is it possible that I am thinking of things to post about every day while Just Not Dinner was not in existence, which drove me nuts, and then since the day it came back, I haven't posted squat!

Very mysterious.

It's not that I didn't have anything to say, or recipes to post. The hectic pace of getting ready for the holidays just got in the way.

But now we are really back.

I made a scrumptious gluten-free dessert for Christmas Eve dinner with The Man's family, but I neglected to take a picture. Even brought the camera with me.

Luckily, I have a parental invasion occuring as I type, and after telling my father about the dessert, he said that it sounded really good. So I have the first half cooling and will begin the second half shortly.

So that will be coming posthaste.

But I also have a delicious coffee cake to share. This is one of those Vault recipes that I dug out recently because I have an abundance of pears taking up space in the fridge. Gotta use them somehow, right?

Pear Coffeecake
Adapted from a recipe in The Vault

2 cups thinly sliced pears
3 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp almond meal
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Grease an 8" baking pan (I used a rectangular pan because it was handy, and it affected the thickness because the batter was more spread out. Keep that in mind). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a small saucepan combing the brown sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and pears. Cook over medium heat until syrupy (5 minutes or so), stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.

Sift together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, cornstarch and xanthan gum. Add the almond meal and set aside.

Combine the milk and 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, beating well. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat well after each addition.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread out until it reaches the sides (dough is kind of sticky so be prepared). Spread the pear mixture over the top of the batter and then top with the almonds.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

that's a beautiful cake!!! Yum!! Looks delicious!! I'm so glad your blog is back up and running! I'm glad that blogger didn't completely delete your blog!! yay!!