Thursday, November 30, 2006

A perfect night for chili (mac) and cornbread


For the past 6 days, we have enjoyed 60-degree weather.


Today, we woke to freezing rain. We are currently under a winter weather warning; they are forecasting up to 12 inches of snow over the next 24 hours. That is, if the meterologists are accurate. The last time (last winter) they called for this kind of snow, we got nuthin. Not even a flurry.


Anyway, since it's only 30 degrees outside, I thought it would be a good night for chili and cornbread. I don't do anything fancy with my chili - I prefer it simple.


Chili Mac

from my head


2-28 oz cans tomato sauce

1-14 oz can garbanzo beans

1-14 oz can pinto beans

1/4 cup (or so - add to your taste) chili powder

1/2 tsp cumin

1 pound ground turkey breast

1 onion, chopped
2 cups cooked rice pasta (I use Tinkyada spirals for this)


Brown the ground turkey breast. Pour the tomato sauce into a 6-quart stock pot. Drain the cans of beans, add them to the stockpot and turn the heat on low. Chop up the onion and dump in too (I like my onions to have "bite" when they're in my chili).


Stir in the chili powder and cumin. When the turkey is ready, drain well and add to the pot. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.


When my stomach is behaving, I usually add a few shots of hot sauce, but today is not one of those days.


Serve with shredded cheese of your choice and cornbread.


The Man fell asleep on the couch before 6:30 tonight, so he didn't get any. But it's always better the second day.

No comments: