Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Warmth in the tummy


Friday, I planned to make this soup. Alas, I was too tired after work and shelved it until Saturday.

Saturday, I planned to make this soup. I had spent too much time on my feet with the Christmas goodies and said to hell with it, I'll make it Sunday.

Sunday, I planned to make this soup. Scratched off my schedule again after finishing the de-glutening of the house.

Monday, I planned to make this soup. After a full day of work and some Christmas shopping (no, I am not done, damn it), I made it.

I found this recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup on the internet a few years ago; I wrote it down instead of printing it, so I have no idea who it belongs to or what website it came from. I tweaked it anyway.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

In a stock pot, combine the following. Saute until onions are clear:

1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
Enough olive oil to coat

Add to the stock pot and then simmer for 20 minutes:

2 4-oz cans chopped green chilies
2 15-oz cans Italian-style tomato sauce (or make your own with tomato sauce, oregano, basil)
8 cups chicken broth
2 tsp lemon pepper
4 tsp worcestershire
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp hot sauce

Combine 4 tbsp cornstarch with 3/4 cup water. Mix well. Whisk into the soup; boil for 5 minutes to thicken.

Add 1 pound cooked, cubed chicken and 2 11-oz cans of Mexicorn; simmer another 5 minutes.

Stir in 2/3 cup sour cream, salt, and pepper to taste.

Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments: