Thursday, December 21, 2006

Test run for Christmas Eve's dessert

Since I am making a GF recipe for Christmas Eve's dessert, I figured I better give it a test run, just in case. I originally planned to make 2 desserts, one being not gluten free, but I decided that since I am the one cooking for the family, I am not putting more on my plate than necessary.

I was not going to do the same filling as is planned for Christmas Eve (a ganache); I turned this into a jelly roll so we don't get bored with it before Christmas. I used my own jam.

Chocolate Cake Roll
tweaked ever so slightly from a recipe at Glutenfreeda

6 eggs at room temperature, separated
2 tbsp butter
6 oz good-quality bittersweet chocolate (I used Scharffen Berger)
2/3 cup sugar + 2 tbsp
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 15x10x1" baking dish; line the bottom with parchment paper, allowing excess to hang over the ends for "handles."

Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Put the egg yolks, 2/3 cup sugar, and salt in a bowl and beat until pale yellow and thick. Fold in the chocolate just until blended.

In a separate bowl and using clean beaters, beat the egg whites and the remaining 2 tbsp sugar until the whites hold stiff peaks.

Fold half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then pour the lightened chocolate mixture into the rest of the egg whites, folding gently until well combined.

Spread the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the cake is puffed and dry to the touch.

Transfer the cake pan to a cooling rack; cover the cake with a couple of layers of damp paper towels. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Remove the paper towels and cool completely. When cool, sift 1 tbsp cocoa powder over the top of the cake. Lay a large sheet of wax paper on top of the cake, making sure it covers the whole thing. Put a cookie sheet over the top of the wax paper and then carefully invert the cake onto it. Slowly peel off the parchment paper.

Spread your desired filling over the cake. Using the wax paper, roll up the cake lengthwise. Dust the cake with powdered sugar and cocoa powder.



Look out when mopping up the little bit of butter you dropped on the stovetop. It might hurt when you slap your ring finger against the steaming-hot burner grate.

Now, about the cake. I haven't tasted it yet, but I am already a little disappointed. I have been making Buche de Noel cakes for years, ever since my high school French teacher introduced the traditional Christmas cake to us in class.

This cake needs flour. The recipe above doesn't use any. When I went to roll the cake, it didn't just crack like the recipe warned, IT BROKE. I am so upset, I didn't even take a picture yet.

It looks like I am making another recipe. Just need to find one.

No comments: