Sunday, January 28, 2007

Lazy Sunday

The Man and I spent the bulk of the afternoon napping on the couches with the boys. It's so flippin' cold outside that we just didn't feel like going outdoors to do anything. I went at 7 AM to finish up the grocery shopping and the car said it was 7 degrees. SEVEN DEGREES. My face froze in the 15 feet it took to get from the car to the store and vice versa. That was enough for me.

While I was shopping, I spotted a good-looking beef roast, so I grabbed it up and figured I would make it for dinner. I dreamt on what I was going to do with it and here's what resulted.




Sheri's Beef Roast

A 2-pound boneless bottom round roast
12 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 tbsp olive oil
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Using a sharp knife with a short blade, make 12 slits in the sides and top of the roast. In each slit, shove a garlic clove. Sprinkle all sides of the roast with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a VERY dash of cayenne. Let sit for a few minutes.

Put the olive oil in a skillet and fire it up. When the oil is hot, put the roast in the pan. Sear all sides to keep the juices inside and then get it out of the pan into your baking dish. Cover the baking dish and then put it in the oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Wine Sauce

2 tbsp butter
7 crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups beef stock
A pinch of salt
3 tbsp cornstarch

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onion and mushrooms; saute until mushrooms are soft. Add the garlic and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in the red wine and then bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, add the beef stock and salt. Cook for 10 minutes, then whisk in the cornstarch. Reduce the heat and allow to thicken.




I served this with sour cream and chive smashed red potatoes and steamed broccoli. Another keeper.

No comments: