Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thursday night

About 4:45 this afternoon, The Man sent me an IM: "Dinner honey?"

I rarely have days when I wish I was married to someone who has a clue in the kitchen, because I love to cook so much. Today, though, was one of those days. Sometimes I just want to come home and relax while someone else does all the work. Because I don't want to drive a good distance in order to get an insured GF meal, I am stuck as I am. The Man has no interest in learning to cook.

My father is an excellent cook and makes the best pie crust I have ever eaten. My mom claims that it has something to do with his "magic" hands. I grew up in a household where the duties were split 50/50, so I tend to get frustrated with the lack of 50/50 here.

It's not all his fault - The Man was an "oops," born late in his parent's life, 11 years younger than his sister. His dad didn't cook either. So that's what he saw growing up.

I could be nasty and show the uneven split of household duties here, but then...that's just nasty. So I will list it in my head.


Hm.


Yup.


Jerk.


There. And now I can gloat because I am a career woman with three children (well, cats and a husband) who can "do it all."

And this "do it all" woman wimped out with dinner tonight.


Chicken Sandwiches with Baked Potato Wedges

For the chicken:

2 hamburger rolls (in this house, 1 GF and 1 not GF)
Favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato...
1 tsp olive oil + some for the pan if not grilling
1 tsp Liquid Smoke (per their website this is GF)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

For the potato wedges:

2 large potatoes, cleaned and cut in half, then wedges
2-3 tsp olive oil
Mix of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder (I don't measure, I just dump it in until it smells good)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the chicken breasts on a plate; sprinkle both sides with 1 tsp olive oil, Liquid Smoke, garlic powder and onion powder. Allow to rest.

In a bowl, combine the potato wedges, olive oil (enough to coat), and spices. Mix together so spices and oil coat all of the potatoes. Line a baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray. Spread the potatoes out in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown.

When the potatoes are near done, preheat a skillet doused with a splash of olive oil (I have a Kitchenaid Pro stove, so I have 3 different sized burners. Here I used the smallest burner on medium). When the pan is hot, add the chicken breasts and cover. Cook, flipping once, until chicken is cooked through (10 minutes or so). Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to remove some of the oil; while draining, place a slice of provolone cheese on each.

2 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

I think you go above and beyond...give yourself a hug...THE MAN needs to get a cook book for his next b-day. If he can read he can cook. How about that for tough love...HUGS

Sheri said...

Yeah, but then he's have to read! LOL That takes work, you know. 8 years ago, I bought him a book he said he actually wanted (I jumped on that one because other than a newspaper, he doesn't read) and it has yet to have the cover cracked. I just dust it every week.