Monday, May 14, 2007

A good question

Allergic Girl asked a good question in the comments on my "I've Been Glutened" post from a couple of days ago. She wanted to know how gluten got into a baked potato.

Eating out can be a gluten sensitive person's worst nightmare because of two words: cross contamination.

In my case, I forgot to ask the person preparing my food to put on a new pair of gloves before handling my potato. Lord knows how many hamburger buns she touched before she squashed open the potato and placed it into a container for my lunch.

Friday wasn't the first time something like that has happened to me and it certainly won't be the last.

Anyone have any horror stories to tell about being glutened by something you figured was safe?

1 comment:

Allergic Girl said...

speaking of cross contamination, im allergic to kitties and doggies and i cant tell you how many times someone will snuggle their baby unbeknownst to yours truly and then snuggle me-covered in animal hair! guess who gets allergic? yah, that would be me.

cross contaminants are everywhere. and when it comes to servers who wear gloves im queen of "please sir/madam, would you mind putting on a new pair? i have allergies". that is when i see them doing it...