Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hodge-podge in the crockpot



Before I left to go to the Haunted Barn today, I threw a bunch of stuff in the crock-pot and prayed it would taste good when I got home LOL

I planned to make a cornbread mix from Bob's Red Mill, but I was too tired and hungry to wait to eat.

If I make this again, I need to add more chili powder and cumin. It's good, but needs more spice.

Hodge-Podge in a Crock-Pot

1 green pepper, diced
1 orange pepper, diced
1/2 a good-sized onion, diced
1-6 oz can organic tomato paste
1-28 oz can organic crushed tomatoes
1-28 oz can organic tomato sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
Chicken-I used 2 breasts & 3 thighs (sprinkle with salt and pepper)
1 can organic pinto beans, drained
2 tbsp chili powder (best guess since I didn't measure)
1 1/2 tsp cumin (best guess since I didn't measure)
Olive oil

In a pan, put a few tsps of olive oil and then add the chicken; cook until done. While the chicken is cooking, dice up the peppers and onion; throw in the crock-pot. Add the minced garlic, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. When the chicken is done, take out of the pan and let cool. When you can handle touching it, shred it with 2 forks or your hands, whatever is easier. Take the cat off the counter.

Mix together and set the crock-pot to cook for 10 hours. When you're close to ready to eat, add the pinto beans so they get heated through.

Serve over your preferred rice.

No comments: