Saturday, November 11, 2006

And so it begins

I cleaned out the fridge this morning: got rid of the not-so-healthy-looking carrots, pulled the zucchini out so they can warm to room temperature, and pitched any leftovers that are a little too leftover (more than 2 to 3 days old). I had grand plans to play with food after we did the last haunted barn meeting of the season this morning.

Ha. The joke's on me. I went grocery shopping. What the hell was I thinking? At least I didn't buy any veggies other than one green pepper because of that impending cookbook box. And I finally bought myself a handheld milk frother for my morning lattes. And a bunch of other staples, teas, toiletries, etc. And walked out without one of my bags somehow, so The Man had to go back and get it.

Needless to say, by the time I got home and got everything put away, I didn't wanna no more. I have to do my food playing early in the day, just like I do cleaning, or I lose motivation. So hopefully tomorrow will be a better day, since I really want zucchini bread and more cranberry almond muffins for my workweek breakfasts.

We pretty much don't see The Man's best friend or his son, who is a year younger than The Stepson, for the months of September and October, due to the Haunted Barn.

We are nearly done with the barn tear-down and met with the head of the pumpkin farm this morning at 9 to do the nasty deed of figuring out expenses and how much to pay whom. But that's done now for another year.

So the barn is technically over for 2006. I am surprised that it has taken this long (2 whole weeks) for the best friend and child to arrive here. We have an unheated but enclosed back porch with a TV, pub tables, mini-fridge (read beer cooler), a pizza pizzazz thing, and.....table hockey.

During the warm months, everyone usually gathers at The Man's cousin's home, where there is an inground pool, with our home as a sideline for cornholin', AKA throwing bean bags. Once the barn is over and the weather cools, this is the hangout. Boys running tame in my home, playing hockey and the xbox. Men drinking beer and watching whatever game happens to be on. Me and the cats locked up in our bedroom to hide from the craziness.

Tonight it begins. I just received word that the men/boys are coming over for the 1st hockey tournament of the season. I admit that I will be glad to see them, but it won't be long before I am in my jammies with a cup of tea and a book, snuggled up in the king-sized bed that I need a step (or a good bounce) to get into. Baby and Sylvester will be tucked into convenient body nooks.

And I will be a happy camper. My men are home and safe and the boys are purring contentedly to their momma.

No comments: