Sunday, November 12, 2006

Memories...

Yet another bad picture... I hate the lighting in my kitchen!

When I was a kid, my parents, sister and I would travel to the wilds of Minnesota (or so it seemed back then) to visit my aunt, uncle and cousins. I loved these trips, though far and few between, because I got to see my cousins....and for my aunt's zucchini casserole.

I think I came close to it today. The more I stared at those zucchini, the less I wanted bread and the more I wanted to taste that zucchini and cheese concoction. I pulled out a family cookbook that another aunt put together years ago and found what might be the casserole. Naturally I played with the recipe a little because that's what I do.
Zucchini Casserole
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp roasted garlic olive oil
1/2 a red onion
4 zucchini
2 filet mignon steaks
1/2 cup grated cheddar
Salt
Melt the butter and olive oil in a hot skillet big enough to hold everything in the ingredients list. Slice the red onion and add to the skillet. Chop the zucchini into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan; sprinkle with salt. Slice the steaks and add to the pan. Cover and cook on medium for 5 minutes, until the steak is at the desired doneness.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Let the cheese melt and dig in (after dusting the cat hair from your plate).

No comments: